TAXPAYERS will fork out around R500 million for the SA National Defence Force's (SANDF) deployment to flood-ravaged parts of KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape.
May 4, 2022
2 min read
SANDF deployed in flood-stricken areas
SANDF personnel deployed in Kwazulu-Natal
Metro Audio Articles
Catch our weekly audio news daily only on Metro Radio Podcast News.listen now
President Cyril Ramaphosa authorised the deployment of around 10 000 soldiers to the two provinces to assist with humanitarian and rebuilding efforts.
In a letter to Parliament's presiding officers, National Assembly Speaker Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula and National Council of Provinces chairperson Amos Masondo, Ramaphosa said the troops were deployed, "... to preserve life and health and property in emergency or humanitarian relief operations in the KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape provinces".
The letter dated April 26 was released by Parliament this week.
The expenditure expected to be incurred for this deployment amounts to R506 406 000, Mr Ramaphosa said.
"This employment was authorised in accordance with the provisions of Section 18 of the Defence Act, Act 42 of 2002. The employment is for a period of two months from 14 April 2022 to 14 June 2022," Mr Ramaphosa said.
He also requested that the contents of the letter be brought to the attention of MPs in both Houses.
Enjoy our daily newsletter from today
Access exclusive newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.
A preliminary assessment report from the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Human Settlements indicated that more than 13 500 households were affected, 3 937 houses were destroyed, and 8 039 houses were partially destroyed.
Last month, Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga said the floods damaged over 630 schools - 101 were deemed inaccessible and 124 suffered extensive damage.
The minister said 64 pupils had died.
Health Minister Joe Phaahla said the damage to health facilities in KwaZulu-Natal would cost R185 million to repair.
Several health facilities had damaged roofs due to the flooding. News24
Tailored for you
by OWN CORRESPONDENT
South Africans should question whether State Capture is really over - Thuli Madonsela
by OWN CORRESPONDENT
Papa J and Prince — the men roped into Phala Phala burglary ‘mastermind’s’ escape to Namibia