Nov. 24, 2022


2 min read

Soldiers accused of 2012 Mafeteng murder given reprieve

Soldiers accused of 2012 Mafeteng murder given reprieve

Justice Polo Banyane

Story highlights

    The case is postponed to December 2 because accused’s lawyer is ill
    Unpaid prosecutor has issues with the DPP

Metro Audio Articles

Catch our weekly audio news daily only on Metro Radio Podcast News.

listen now

THE three soldiers charged with the 2012 murder of three men in Mafeteng will return to the High Court on December 2, as their case could not continue this week because their lawyer was ill.

King’s Counsel (KC) Zwelakhe Mda who represents all three accused failed to show up in court on Wednesday owing to ill health.

Even the prosecution team had problems of its own as Advocate Mosouenyane Masiphole also had unresolved payment issues with the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Advocate Hlalefang Motinyane as his legal fees have not been paid yet.
Justice Polo Banyane presiding over the matter directed that Masiphole should sort out his issues with the DPP in order for the case to proceed on the scheduled date.

The accused in the case include Litekanyo Nyakane, Khauhelo Makoa, Sebilo Sebilo, Tšepo Tlhakeli, and Thebe Tšepe.

They allegedly killed Thabang Mosole, Monyane Matsie, and Pakiso ‘Ntala’ Letatabe during a shooting incident that occurred in Ha Motanyane, Mafeteng on April 7, 2012.

The prosecution's first witness to testify in the trial was police Inspector Setai Ntsebe who in his evidence-in-chief said he was part of the investigating team that attended the crime scene in Ha Motanyane, Mafeteng on the fateful day.

He said he and his colleagues collected three bodies at the scene.

Two of the bodies had their brains blown off, and all three bodies had multiple gunshot wounds, the court was told.

Ntsebe testified that his team collected a total of 124 shells from AK-47 assault rifles, one shell from a General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) assault rifle, and two shells from a 9mm pistol.

Enjoy our daily newsletter from today

Access exclusive newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.

The three accused have pleaded not guilty to the charges levelled against them.

Their pleas were followed by an admission of three statements – the first one belonged to Matšeliso Matsie who identified the body of Monyane Matsie.

The second and third statements belonged to Moeketsi Tiheli who identified the bodies of Mosole, and Letatabe. Evidence before the court shows that the three bodies were identified on April 10, 2012, at the Mafeteng Government Hospital mortuary.



Share the story