Oct. 19, 2022


2 min read

Court expects feedback on unpaid lawyers’ fees

Court expects feedback on unpaid lawyers’ fees

Former army boss, Lt Gen Tlali Kamoli

Story highlights

    Registrar ordered to establish why lawyers were not being paid
    Witness claims army boss refused to cooperate during investigations

Metro Audio Articles

Catch our weekly audio news daily only on Metro Radio Podcast News.

listen now

THE High Court is on Wednesday, October 19 expected to get feedback on a concern raised by lawyers representing the nine soldiers who are charged with the 2015 murder of army chief, Lieutenant General Maaparankoe Mahao that they have not been receiving their pro deo fees from the state.

Fako, Motšoane Machai, Tšitso Ramoholi, Litekanyo Nyakane, Haleo Makara, Lekhooa Moepi, Marasi ’Moleli, and Mohlalefi Seitlheko are charged with Mahao’s murder. Former army boss, Lt Gen Tlali Kamoli along with Motsamai

The nine accused await their trial in custody.

The late army commander was allegedly gunned down by his colleagues on June 25, 2015 in Ha Lekete on the outskirts of Maseru.

High Court judge, Justice Charles Hungwe last week ordered the Registrar of the High Court to this week furnish him with a detailed report on the issue of the unpaid pro deo fees.  

The parties involved in the case had last week convened in Justice Hungwe’s chambers where the accused’s lawyers had complained about not being paid for their rendered services.

The last witness to testify in the marathon trial was retired Senior Assistant Commissioner of Police (SACP) Jankie Hlaahla who told the court in his evidence-in-chief that there was no cooperation between the police and the army during the investigation of the murder.

Enjoy our daily newsletter from today

Access exclusive newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.

He said a similar lack of cooperation between the two security organs previously surfaced when police investigated a murder case that occurred in Mafeteng where soldiers allegedly shot dead three men.  

The witness told the court that without the army commander’s permission, police investigators could not enter the military barracks to interview the suspects in Mahao’s case.

“It was also impossible for the police to enter the Makoanyane Military Hospital for further investigations,” SACP Hlaahla also said. - LeNA

Share the story