Nov. 11, 2022


2 min read

Witness narrates how soldier was gunned down

Witness narrates how soldier was gunned down

The High Court of Lesotho

Story highlights

    The man witnessed heated argument between accused and dead soldier
    Witness says the soldier was too hostile to listen

Metro Audio Articles

Catch our weekly audio news daily only on Metro Radio Podcast News.

listen now

AN eye witness of the 2017 shoot-out at the Maseru Border Gate that resulted in the death of a military officer says the soldier had an animated quarrel with the gunman before he shot him dead.

Lekhahla Lenka told the High Court on Thursday this week that earlier on May 13, 2017, he saw Private Katleho Seliane attempting to search the accused, Motlatsi Rantaoana.

At the time, Lenka did not know the identity of the two men.

The court had on Wednesday issued a warrant for Lenka’s arrest after he failed to respond to its summons.

But the order was later cancelled after Lenka explained why he could not make it to court on time the day before.

Rantaoana who is believed to be part of a notorious famo gang is charged with two counts of murder.

He is alleged to have gunned down Seliane and Moiketsi Makhabane who was a street vendor at the border.

Another soldier, Private Halekhethe Nkonyana sustained serious gunshot wounds during the shooting incident that ensued.

Rantaoana also faces charges of attempted murder and illegal possession of a firearm - a 7.65mm pistol believed to be the murder weapon.

After the fatal shooting, the Maseru police arrested Rantaoana along with his five companions including Lekhoele Noko, Molise Phakela, Khothatso Makibinyane, Molise Motaung and Tello Thoi.  

The police later released the five men after they could not be linked to the shooting.  

But Rantaoana was detained and later remanded in custody for the murder.  

In his testimony this week, Lenka said during the heated argument that he witnessed between Seliane and Rantaoana, Nkonyana tried to intervene, but Seliane was “too hostile to listen”.  

Enjoy our daily newsletter from today

Access exclusive newsletters, along with previews of new media releases.

“Whatever the gunman said to the soldier must have infuriated him because he (the soldier) could not calm down. He refused to listen to his colleague and was too hostile,” the court heard.

The witness said minutes later, he saw Rantaoana shoot Seliane twice.

“Shocked by what I saw, I ran away but did not go too far. Then I heard another shot ring out. When I returned to the scene, I found the other soldier who had tried to calm down his hostile colleague also lying down on the ground.

“A few paces away, I saw an old man who was selling his ware at a nearby stall also on the ground, he seemed dead,” he said.

He added: “The first soldier was lying in a close-by ditch, crying out for help.”

The case, which is before Justice ’Mafelile Ralebese will continue on January 26, 2023, when the accused presents his defence.

Share the story